Pages

Thursday, August 21, 2008

I'm a bread maker

One of my favorite childhood memories is coming home from school & smelling mom's home made bread. Before I even opened the door, I knew I was in for a hot buttery treat. The best part was ripping the bread apart - no time for slices. Somehow that hot, buttery chunk of fresh bread was better than anything! Mom made bread in bread pans in the oven and lots of it. Well, I don't have hot bread ready after school, but I do have a counter top bread maker and after 3 hours I have (drum roll, please!) one yummy hot loaf of bread! I found this picture of my bread machine online. Then I realized something is definitely wrong!!! If only I can figure out how to get the yeast to do its thing so I have a puffy bread top like this picture...

My bread looks like this when it is done. (Picture of actual loaf of bread I made)
But it sure smells and tastes like home in spite of it's less than picturesque appearance. Inexperienced bread maker or bad yeast?! OK, the yeast is new - so it's not that. Yum. It still tastes good to me.
What will I do with those old bread pans now? Maybe a new home for my cactus...

4 comments:

Julie Barfuss said...

You are so funny! Your bread is yummy...even if it doesn't look puffy on top.

katie said...

I also know of your bread woes. Every time I make rolls they turn out as little rocks. Not great for eating but the Ducks in the pond down the street sure like them :)

A said...

You have to love the bread maker. To be honest I'm totally intimidated by it. I cant figure out all the buttons and settings and I have to Get Bec to do it every time. Weird I know cause who is the techno nerd in the family? I almost used it the other day but decided that it would be easier to just make a loaf in the mixer and bake it in the oven! When Bec uses it the loaves generally turn out pretty darn good, although I have heard her mention weird ingredients like added gluten and Dough enhancer. To help it rise and look normal...

Nancy said...

I'll have to find some ducks in Lehi.

I'll have to find out more about 'additives and enhancers' to help make my bread puffy. Don't fear the bread maker!