Pages

Friday, May 23, 2008

I want to ride my bicycle


You may not know this, but last year I rode a bike. Dun-dunt-duuuuuuun. I had a nice little 6 mile trail with one killer hill. I conquered the hill last year. Then it got too cold and too windy. It was the perfect storm. It was a Friday afternoon. I left work early. It was the first 90+ day of the year. I was itching to return to my normal route. A pair of biking gloves had just arrived in the mail. It was the perfect opportunity to return to my old loop. So, off I went. Everything was going fine. It was hot, but the wind was on my side. I was mentally prepared to take on ‘the hill’. This is where the perfect storm converged… Too much lunch in my tummy, too little water to drink, too much sun, too steep of a hill, too thin air. It’s true, I did make it to the top of the hill. Then I was sure I would throw up or pass out or both. Still conscious and all too aware that although I made it to the top of the hill, the hill had conquered me this year, I pulled over and collapsed on the ground. Using the last trusty piece of equipment, I pulled out my cell phone and used (I was sure) my last breath of air to call for a ride home. Never fear, I’m sure like Charlie Brown returning to his kite, I will one day return to ‘the hill’ and resume my triumphant 6 mile ride just like last year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't stand that you have zero comments on such a great piece of writing... and on such a valient attempt on the bike! Ow! Congrat's for even seeing yourself doing such an unneccesary task. You are my hero.

Nancy said...

Thank you, anonymous.

A fellow rider clued me in to a shortcut to avoid 'the hill'. But, 'the hill' is calling me... .